The best bathing suits aren’t always practical — Raquel Welch’s prehistoric two-piece wouldn’t have lasted long in open waters — but they’re impossible to forget. With a little help from InStyle fashion director Hal Rubenstein, we've compiled a slideshow of the most iconic swimsuits ever..........
1. Elizabeth Taylor, 'Suddenly, Last Summer,' 1959:
Yes, the plot was rather melodramatic. But the pure white tank that Elizabeth Taylor wore in 1959's "Suddenly, Last Summer" — in which she played a mental patient disturbed after witnessing her cousin's shocking death — was nothing short of perfection.
Raquel Welch, 'One Million Years B.C.,' 1966:
Ursula Andress, 'Dr. No,' 1962:
Farrah Fawcett, 1976:
Bo Derek, '10,' 1979:
6. Phoebe Cates, 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High,' 1982
7. Carrie Fisher, 'Return of the Jedi,' 1983
8. Pamela Anderson, 'Baywatch,' 1995
9. Halle Berry, 'Die Another Day,' 2002
10. Jessica Alba, 'Into the Blue,' 2005